Monday, July 9, 2007

House calls...with a toothbrush?

The long-awaited July issue of Reach Out: The Village Newsletter of Long Reach arrived today. I scanned the headlines as I dodged a neighbor at the community mailbox (he looked like he wanted to talk...)

Among various tidbits about water conservation and gas pipeline inspections, I found one truly interesting advertisement: "Home Veterinary Service - We Come to You!!!" As the owners of two cats, Cranky and I are delinquent in seeing to our pets' health care needs. Part of the reason for this is that the cats don't leave the house, so there is no *pressing* need for shots and flea treatments. The other reason is that they don't like to travel. And when I say they don't like to travel, I mean, they *don't* *like* *to* *travel*.

Mouse, the 20-pounder, wets herself the minute you close the gate on the cat carrier. Nothing is sadder than a large cat covered in her own pee and stuffed into a cat carrier. Loki, the skinny nicotine addict, puts up a horrible yowl and bites viciously. The sounds she emits are so chilling, it makes it difficult to keep your eyes on the road.

Lately, however, we've been considering a trip to the vet for teeth-cleaning. The cats are about seven years old, and their breath is kicking. We've tried the tartar-control treats, kitty herb gardens and other such remedies, to no avail. For all we know, they've got advanced-stage gingivitis...The only thing stopping us is the fact that the big one will need a bath and the little one might send one, or both, of us to the hospital.

So the concept of a vet that makes house calls...well, that's just fantastic! Maybe we'll even splurge on some booster shots and a flea treatment, or two.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a former customer of Dr. Rennings' Home Vet Service, I recommend it.

I personally stopped using her because I found a vet close to my house that I liked better. Plus, I didn't like the new assistant that Dr. Rennings' hired. She wasn't terrible, I just liked her other one better.

Vets that make house calls usually charge a trip fee. As the number of animals you have increase, obviously the relative cost of the trip fee decreases. Additionally, her exam fee was cheaper than most, and the per-shot cost of vaccinations was cheaper.

All in all, she wasn't more expensive and it was convenient. And she does do some cheap dental maintenance...